Monday, March 9, 2009

A Big Gain Sometimes Overshadows a Significant Loss

Here in Redskins Nation, the annual (save for last season) offseason shopping spree and subsequent buzz is upon us. All of us are wondering just how much better the 4th-ranked defense will be this season with the addition of Albert Haynesworth.

I admit, the signing has me a bit excited - though I was firmly against it before it went down.

While I knew Haynesworth was quite a talent, I was against it strictly from a financial point of view. But, I realize now that I should not concern myself with the Redskins' financial situation. I have no idea how they are able to manipulate the cap year after year, but they do. So, from now on, I will think about player acquisition only in terms of what that player can and cannot do on the field (not that my opinion matters).

So what can Haynesworth do for the Redskins? A lot, indeed. However, who knows which Haynesworth the Redskins are getting? Are they getting the ridiculous player of the past two seasons? The virtually unblockable player? Or...are they getting the lazy, overweight, unmotivated player who played for six years prior to his ascension to NFL Icon?

Who knows?

But lost in this signing is the news of Demetric Evans. The Redskins reportedly told Drew Rosenhaus prior to the Free Agency period that Evans was not in their plans.

My question: WHY?

This is the Redskins of the past ten years in a nutshell (see: Antonio Pierce, Ryan Clark, etc). These are the effort guys. The guys who a team is built around. It's true, you have to have some first round, blue chip players on your team. But when you look at teams that are successful year in and year out, it's the blue collar, effort guys who make up the majority of those teams (see: Steelers, Patriots, Eagles, etc).

Demetric Evans is a guy who can play every position on the defensive line (mind you, a glaring weakness on this team). Evans is a guy who gives you 15-30 snaps a game without complaint of where he's lining up, or in what scheme which you may be using him. He is strictly a motor guy who wants to impact the game.

So, while the Redskins just made the biggest splash (shocker) of the offseason, and once again reclaimed their rightful position of Kings of the NFL Offseason by signing Albert Haynesworth, it is yet to be seen how the loss of Demetric Evans will effect the team.

And just for the record, I believe Evans will become a household name across the league this season. Not only is he a hardworking guy, but now he has a major chip on his shoulder.

I personally wish him all the luck.

Likewise, I wish Albert Haynesworth luck. Because, though no fault of his own, if he stumbles, and Evans succeeds, Haynesworth and his phat/fat (who knows?) bank account will be the recipients of enormous pressure.

Anyway, Hail...

No comments:

Post a Comment